• Zach

Winning vs Developing

In today’s blog I am going to be talking about a big issue an American youth soccer and I will also be giving you my opinion on it.


So should youth coaches be focused on winning or on developing players. In my opinion I believe they should split their focus 70/30. They should be focusing 70% of their efforts on developing players with great technical and tactical ability. The other 30% should be focused on picking the best team that can win them games. The main thing youth coaches should be doing is developing players who are good enough to play at the international level. A big problem I see with coaches is that they are only concerned with how they are perceived and winning right now. What happens as a result of this is, these coaches only tend to pick the biggest most developed players. This creates an issue for the smaller more technical and tactical players because they never get picked for any of the best teams. This often leads them to quit football out of frustrating for never getting picked for any teams.


What I’m trying to say is that focusing on developing players and winning is a conflict of interest. But, when you have the right balance of both... you can produce a special player.


I hope you found this article useful. If you have any questions feel free to leave them down in the comments below and I will answer them!


3 views
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White YouTube Icon
  • White Instagram Icon